Search This Blog

Friday, May 26, 2006

Ludacris & Kanye - Ripping off Music?


Ludacris & Kanye - Ripping off Music?
According to the NY Daily News, Rapper Ludacris testified that allegations he and Kanye West ripped off an unknown hip-hop group's lyrics are ludicrous.
The upstart New Jersey group claims the duo cribbed from the song "Straight Like That" and used them in the hit single "Stand Up," which has sold more than 500,000 copies.

The hip-hop duo shot back that the only thing the songs have in common are the words "like that," a phrase they noted is used in everyday conversation.

"We're known as two of the most creative artists in the game," West told jurors in Manhattan Federal Court.

West said he could understand why the group known as It's Our Family would try to take on big-name artists like himself and Ludacris, whose real names is Chris Bridges.

"It's like that glimmer of hope," he said. "You're this close. I've been in those shoes. I understand why they would sue."

I.O.F.'s lawyer Mel Sachs said demo tapes of "Straight Like That" were distributed to Ludacris and West. Both men said they had never heard the song before the lawsuit.

Ludacris said he had never heard the phrase "straight like that" before. He pointed to a blue notebook where he had drafted the words to "Stand Up," which includes the phrase "just like that."

"I feel as if there is no way to define my style," Ludacris said. "I think I'm very original."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»